Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Being a Team Player



We always hear the stories of professional athletes that are given too much too fast. There are always stories of them becoming bankrupt, getting into legal troubles, etc. There are also numerous athletes that are wonderful role models that we admire and our children look up to. I always wonder though what these athletes are thinking when they make bad choices? I’m sure the majority of them believe they are above the law and rules don’t apply to them. I wonder if they ever stop to think what the consequences may be, who they might hurt or how they might affect their fan base and more importantly their team.

As a fan of NFL football I know it disappoints me greatly when one of my favorite teams, let alone one of my favorite players lets me down. Fans always want their team to do well and go all the way to the Super bowl. It’s all about bragging rights and knowing that your team made it all the way. To me, I truly don’t have much to lose other than a small side bet or some of my dignity when my team gets knocked out of the playoffs. Other than that I don’t really have much invested. However an NFL player makes this a career. The ultimate goal day in and day out is to be the world champions at the end of the season. All the tough workouts, crazy travel schedules and brutal beatings received continuously from training camp to the end of the season are a huge sacrifice to any one person. It’s exciting when your team is not only considered one of the top teams in the NFL but also the team with the best chance of going to the Super bowl. What happens though, when one player selfishly decides not to be a team player? I couldn’t imagine being on a team knowing that one of my teammates does not have that same desire and goals.

Being a former teacher I couldn’t fathom letting my team down by not obeying rules, disregarding the consequences and continually finding more trouble. I’d be letting my school, team and students down. No different than an NFL player letting the organization, team and fans down. I always wanted to have the best and most improved classroom, I was definitely a team player and the ultimate goal was having a successful school that earned recognition.

It baffles my mind when a standout player like Von Miller (Denver Bronco) has continuous run-ins with the law and flagrantly disobeys the rules and court. Last year he was a candidate for Defensive Player of the Year and this year his team has the talent and opportunity to go to the Super bowl. What is he thinking not being a team player? How can one man be so selfish to let his team down? I’ve concluded at this time his ultimate goal is not the same as his teammates. His current desire is not to play in the NFL to win championships but to play in the NFL for none other than money. My hope is he will turn this all around and with a six game suspension have time to think about his future. Hopefully he considers what he is doing to the organization, his team and the fans. How amazing would it be if he completely changed his act and became one of the good role models? I would love to be able to wear my Von Miller jersey with pride once again. Yes I’ll be praying for him.   

No comments:

Post a Comment