Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Golfing makes me Drink, Swear, and Lose my Salvation

What began as walking over to my neighbor Jamie's to retrieve my dog and child, has become a daily habit I look forward to every morning.  She began setting out a lawn chair next to hers, a silent invitation to sit and be still for a moment.  What a beautiful gesture on her part, one I won't easily forget.  As our elementary age kids scurried onto the school bus, we watched the remaining toddlers, preschoolers, and puppies play in the driveway taking 10 minutes or so to drink our morning drinks and enjoy each other's company.  What a simple way God has of making our relationships flourish when we continue being intentional.  

Mandy just moved into the neighborhood a couple of weeks ago.  She started joining us a couple of mornings ago, and my spirit tells me she's one of those girls I can become fast friends with.  I can tell she loves Jesus with all her heart, and this quickly makes us sisters, no matter what way you put it.  As we chatted, I asked her if she would be joining her husband and us at a golfing event in a couple of weeks.  Her sweet, witty response is one I'll never forget... "Golfing makes me drink, swear, and lose my salvation".  Ha!  So Adorable!  I've just met Mandy, yet her dry sense of humor makes me laugh and reminds me not to take myself too seriously.

Last Friday night, we played in a Twilight golf outing with another couple we're getting to know better through our new hobby.  YES, we had a couple of drinks.  YES, I caught myself wanting to swear out loud a couple of times.  And I'm pretty sure I directed some choice words at my girlfriend's club.  But NO, I can't lose my salvation.  I know that no matter what, my salvation is secure.  I am a sinner, saved by grace, and there is nothing I can do that can separate me from God, as long as I continue to believe, continue to be obedient, and continue to confess and repent when I screw up.  "For if I claim to be without sin, I deceive myself, and the truth is not in me.  If I confess my sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."  (1John 1:8-9).

Yes, I love Jesus.  Yes, I want to follow his ways with all my heart.  Yes, I try to honor him with all my ways and want to live in such a way that he would be so proud of me.  But no, I'm not perfect, and realize I never will be.  And He knows this too.  And I'm so glad that I discovered that He loves me no matter what, He accepts me exactly where I'm at, and He sees where I'm going with every choice I make to step closer to Him.

Just know that if I can admit my need for Jesus, even with all the junk in my life, trust me, it would be just as easy for you to.  Remember, God made you, loves you, and  WANTS you, exactly as you are.

Take the first step.  Reach out and admit your need for Him, someone bigger than yourself.  I promise, it'll be the best first step you'll ever take!

Love, C.

No comments:

Post a Comment