Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Wrong Grip

A couple of weeks ago I hit the driving range, and got a blister on my pointer finger.  Even with the blister, I continued playing.  I bandaged it up, and adjusted my grip so that there'd be no pressure on the blister.  Of course, I knew that my grip was now wrong...everything about it felt wrong, but my new found love for golf wouldn't allow me to stop playing, even if I was forming bad habits.

I played this way for a couple of weeks, with the wrong grip, and without noticing it, the grip started to feel right.  But I started playing horribly.  Whereas before, I could hit the ball and not embarrass myself, now I was topping it, missing it, and my swing was choppy.  I switched my stance, adjusted my arms, gave myself pep talks, telling myself it was just a phase.

On Labor Day, Ty and I went out to play a round.  By the 5th hole, we were arguing a little because we were both playing so badly.  We both recognized that something was wrong, and we couldn't continue playing and expect different results.

We decided to cut out on the last couple of holes, and hit the driving range to determine what was wrong, and see if we could fix it.  Ty watched me hitting golf balls, and asked to see my grip.  I argued that there was nothing wrong with it.  He adjusted my grip, and it felt so unnatural, but I knew that he was right. A couple more practice swings with my "new" old (correct) grip, and I was good to go.

Isn't that how it is with sin?  Whatever the sin may be, God has wired you to recognize it.  But when we continue to ignore God's whisper, that sin starts feeling right.  Kind of like the wrong grip started feeling right.  Maybe you have a new group of friends you've been hanging out with, and something told you they weren't the best influences.  Over time, keep hanging out with them, those bad influences will feel right.  Or maybe you started coming in late to work, thinking it wasn't that big a deal, when in all reality, it's the little things that can make the difference in the big promotion.  The wrong habits... all of a sudden don't feel so wrong anymore.

Thankfully I listened to Tyler when he gently corrected my wrong grip.  Same with sin.  I'm thankful to have people in my corner that I've given permission to speak into my life to gently correct me with Truth if sin is overtaking me.  Living this life alone is too hard, and the responsibility is too great.  Find others to journey with you on this beautiful life God gave us.


No comments:

Post a Comment