Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

FAITH, FAMILY, FOOTBALL

          


          This evening the church I attend is hosting a huge women’s event called, “Faith, Family and Football.” If you know me, you know these are my three favorite things and in that exact order. So, of course, I am going. To make it even better there is a catered meal being served by our men. Husbands, boyfriends, sons, brothers, etc. will be serving us (for once) a yummy dinner. Then to top it all off I’m sharing this evening with a number of my good friends.  I’m not being sarcastic at all when I say, “Faith, Family, Football, Food and Friends,” are my five favorite things. Truly you couldn’t pick a more perfect evening for me (with the exception of the entire Denver Broncos team sitting at my table).

The importance of this event is to KICKOFF the fall women’s ministry--do you like that kickoff football reference there? That just made me very proud of myself. Okay moving on. There will be a guest speaker, worshipping and a number of other wonderful things to enjoy. I don’t know a great deal about our guest speaker, Jan Thomas, but I am very excited to listen to her journey after tragically losing her football coach husband. This, I believe, will be a wonderful event to get women involved in ministry. This fall there will be a number of Bible studies offered, MOPS and MOMSNEXT. I can’t wait to be a part of them.
So here we go! As women we get so busy with our lives that we tend to put our Bible studies on the back burner. I used to have numerous nights where I would see my Bible on my nightstand but I was too exhausted to pick it up and read. Being in a Bible study is even more of a commitment. With careers, kids, a home to take care of, activities, sports, etc. there just seems to be hardly any time for that kind of stuff. How wrong we all are, there is absolutely no reason for not spending time with The Word. For a long time I thought reading the Bible and going to church was enough for me to get a good understanding of my faith and what Christ expected of me. It just isn’t even close to enough. Women (and men alike) absolutely need to be part of Bible studies. There is truly no excuse in the world that you can give for not being a part of something that affects your future--your eternal future for that matter. There is not one person at any point of life that can say, “I’m good.” No matter what you’ve read, donated, volunteered for and so on there just isn’t a stopping point. We constantly need God and we continually need to be in a relationship with Christ. I understand that people have young children at home (as do I) or some of us have demanding careers but it is imperative that you find some time for yourself to study the Bible. Bible studies have completely changed my thinking and knowledge of the Bible and what is expected of me. I am not intimidated to read my Bible anymore; I’m thirsting for more. Bible studies have not only made me accountable but have made me a better Christian all around. I’ve become a better wife, mother, friend, daughter, sister, etc.
My hope for everyone is that you will read your Bible daily. My desire for everyone is to join a Bible study. It is crucial to surround yourself with others in faith. You can always learn from others but you can also teach someone something that could impact them greatly.
 
Remember two things for me this week:
*We will forever be students of Christ.
*No one is too good or too busy to take time for Christ.  

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful Kara. The most important thing that we can consume is God's Spiritual Food-His Word.

    ReplyDelete