Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Addicted to Golf

Over the 4th of July weekend, our friends invited Ty and me to play a round of golf.  Needless to say, I'd never been interested in the game of golf because I had always found better things to do with my time and never really thought there was a purpose behind the game.  And my personality type does not lend itself to doing something just for fun (although I've learned lately that it's okay to have fun).  I've always had to have a definite purpose behind everything I do.  That's just how I'm wired.  

So why did we say yes?  My purpose that evening was to spend time with the couples who had invited us, doing something they enjoyed.  My purpose was to go on a date with my husband doing something he enjoyed.  I was just along for the ride.       

So what happened that weekend? Ty and I played with 3 other couples, had an amazing time, enjoyed nature, and enjoyed time with each other.  I was slightly hooked.  That was Friday night.  

Sunday morning, Ty and I listened to one of our pastors talk about marbles.  I'll go into that story some other time because it's actually a really great analogy to our children's lives.  What stuck in my mind about that sermon was something Ty and I had actually talked about the week before.  In my life, there are no coincidences, just moments weaved together by God to lead us down a certain path.  So when Ty and I talk about something, and what we talk about comes up over and over again, either by other people, or by circumstances, we tend to listen a little more closely, and tend to act quickly when we are in agreement, and after prayer.  

In his sermon, Pastor Gabe talked about spending intentional time with our children.  He talked about many other things, but that's what Ty and I had been talking about.  We had talked about how we wanted to spend our precious time with our kids, what kind of activities we wanted to do to create memories for them, and how we could maximize opportunities for our kids to have spiritual conversations with us.  And we wanted to make these spiritual conversations natural, not forced. 

(If you want to hear Pastor Gabe's message, click on the link below!)

http://prairielakeschurch.org/media-center/message-series/i-want-iowa-to-know/over-time.aspx    

Sunday afternoon, Ty and I took Isabella and Cooper out to the golf course.  We rode around on the golf cart, let the kids take turns driving the cart, and let the kids swing their clubs.  They loved it so much, and instantly, I had visions of quality family time on the golf course for years to come.  Everyone was relaxed and having a great time together.  The Green's on the green...ha! 

The next day, we all went out again, and this time, Cooper only lasted 2 holes.  I took him to the pool, and Ty and Isabella finished up the last 7 holes together.  Nothing magical happened that night...no big spiritual conversations or God moments, but the important thing for us was realizing that we were spending time with our kids doing something together where these moments could happen.  

If you know me well, you know that I tend to bring God into pretty much everything.  And we are being as intentional as we can be with our kids when it comes to this God thing as well.  

We thank Jesus for every meal, we pray before bedtime, we go to church every week so our kids can be around a godly environment, and we do a daily devotional with Isabella.  As I write this, I'm being convicted that we also need to show our kids how to tithe (we tithe but don't really talk about it with them), and how to serve (we serve, but I feel we can do better at this as well).  We also pray over our kids every morning before they leave our home.  Isabella won't step away from us without being prayed over.  And I love it.  I love knowing that I've been intentional with my kids when it comes to asking God for their protection...I do my part (I believe my prayers release power), and He does His.  And that's the best I can ask for. 

Oh my goodness.... as I read back over the last paragraph, I feel like you may be reading it thinking....wow, that's a big list of "to do's".  Please don't see it that way.  These things have formed together for us over time and have become "habits" for us that help us be in relationship with God.  They were never intended to be "checked off" a list that makes us feel either "good enough" or not "good enough" for God that day.  They are things that have become natural rhythms for us that help us keep our friendship with God intact.    

So back to golfing and creating those God moments.  And not to say that you can't have those moments with your kids during a simple hike at the nearest nature reserve, a bike ride with a family picnic as your destination, going on those long drives to whatever destination that soccer, baseball, or volleyball game may be, or simply laying in bed with them at the end of the day.  There are so many ways we can incorporate spiritual conversations in with our kids.  For Ty and I, the key has been to be intentional about doing it, and the best way for our family is for us to be immersed in the Word so it becomes a natural way of living.  And to find activities we enjoy as a family because we love being active.    

Over the last month, I can safely say I'm becoming addicted to golf.  What started out as just a family activity has become so much more.  I haven't had as much time as I want to devote to my game, but hey, it's a lifelong process...kinda like with this God thing I'm addicted to as well.  So I'm going to give myself some grace and enjoy the ride, and enjoy the God moments that come along the way.  Last month alone, we golfed with a couple we had never spent much time with, had dinner afterward, and had the best conversation about God ever!  Totally unexpected and unplanned.  And today, I went golfing with some of my favorite girls, and they inspired this post.  I totally thought I was going to write about them and something I learned from all of them today, but God had other plans for my words....  Love it when that happens!

So here's to us creating those spiritual conversations with our children, bringing God into all aspects of our lives.  And also to more golf stories to come... I have yet to understand what a "handicap" is!

"And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength.  And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today.  Repeat them again and again to your children.  Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up"  Deuteronomy 6:5-9 (NLT).




Love, C.






No comments:

Post a Comment