Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Location, Location, Location

Those infamous words your realtor loves to use when house hunting. My family has moved six times in ten years for my husband’s career. From Montana to Atlanta, Atlanta to Des Moines, then Wichita to Memphis just to turn around and head back to Wichita again. At last landing our feet back in Iowa (for the time being). Having had four kids I was starting a trend of having one in every state we’ve lived. Although we left out Iowa both times we lived here. The old saying “maybe it’s in the water” must not apply to my fertility when I drink Iowa water.
Having become a professional house hunter I have learned almost all there is to know about location. Our last house in Wichita was a dream home. I could have lived in it for the rest of my life. The major bonus was living on a golf course with access to four private pools, ponds, club house, etc. I sometimes secretly wish a very nice tornado would pick it up and drop it on a vacant lot in my neighborhood. However, I learned it’s not always about the house. Although I loved my wonderful neighbors and miss them dearly our last neighborhood was lacking one thing. I know, I know, I know with all those amenities I listed above what else could I ask for? Kids, yes there was a huge lack of kids in the neighborhood. A few here and there but most people had teenagers or kids in college. Heck most of my neighbors' grandkids were the ones to play with my kids. When they would come for a visit with Grandma and Grandpa my kids were in heaven. As much as we enjoyed our house I knew my children were desperate for friends in the neighborhood. They were missing out on all the fun neighborhood activities kids love to do. Lemonade stands, riding bikes, playing until dark, etc. Although, I have to say my kids always rocked at school fundraisers since they were pretty much the only ones selling stuff in our neighborhood. I knew with our next move things would have to change. We can have our dream home when we’re old and retired. My promise to my children with our next move would absolutely be a neighborhood filled with kids.
When looking for houses last year we realized we had a small inventory to choose from. Our price range was fairly broad and we pretty much knew what we wanted. However, the homes were selling faster than Twinkies when Hostess went bankrupt. Every time we sent our realtor a list of homes within days they were sold. We figured it best to wait until we came for our house hunting trip. There were numerous neighborhoods and a list of approximately 20 homes to look through. Each neighborhood seemed pleasant and well maintained but I needed the location to be perfect for my children’s sake. When we approached the neighborhood we currently live in I remember vividly how we could barely drive down the street when following our realtor. The neighborhood was plastered with children. Lemonade stands, children riding bikes, basketball being played in the drive way (I forgot to mention we had a covenant in our old neighborhood--no basketball hoops in the driveway) everything I wanted for my children. I knew before looking at our home that this would be the neighborhood.
Sure enough we found a home, one day later we made an offer and within 24 hours it was a deal. Here we are a year later and my children have so many friends I have trouble keeping track of them. I may start making the neighborhood kids wear nametags. My children are constantly playing from one house to the next. If one kid is gone, no problem, there are 50 more to choose from. Hearing my kids whine and cry in the evening because it is time to come in for dinner is pure joy to my ears (some exaggeration there). Having my children tug on my shirt right after breakfast to ask if they can go play is such a gift to me. I cherished my childhood and neighbor kids and now my children are enjoying the same thing. It is a joy to be surrounded by my children but to be surrounded by them, their friends and constant happiness is a blessing. The laughs and giggles will never get old. My children are truly having the time of their lives. I am so thankful we chose the perfect location, location, location.  

 ~Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment