Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Unexpected Gifts

This morning I woke up to my 9 year old, Isabella, taking the dog out.  I heard her sneak quietly down the stairs, whispering to Cotton to keep quiet.  I lay in bed, thanking God for this moment, thanking Him for my warm bed, and for the beautiful day He had in store for me.

She came into my room, whispered "good morning" to me.  I asked her if she could go make her bed, and she whispered that she already had.  To my surprise, not only had she done that...she'd brushed her teeth, done her hair, and was changed and ready for school.

What an Unexpected Gift.  If you have elementary age children, you can sympathize with me right now.  Last year, it was a never ending battle to get her to do the simple things...use personal hygiene, pick up her room, clean up after herself when she's in the kitchen.  I was so thankful this morning for the little she did for me...getting herself ready and taking care of Cotton, allowing me a few extra precious minutes to count my blessings.

Last weekend, a friend of mine showed up to our Friday night golf triple date with a wrapped present for me and another friend.  It even had a little bow on it.  I literally jumped and squealed with glee as I opened my little present.  My hands were even shaking a little.  It was the smallest thing, but so meaningful to me because it meant that she had been thinking of me when she went out that day to run her errands.  What an Unexpected Gift.

This morning, I helped at church for a ladies event we have coming up on Thursday.  I was greeted by a friend of mine with the sweetest smile, and the sweetest, most encouraging words about our blog.  My friend is also a writer, and she's quite gifted, so her words meant a lot to me.  Another Unexpected Gift.

Each lady gave me an Unexpected Gift.  One gift was wrapped in servitude, one gift wrapped in paper, and one gift wrapped in words.  These gifts, freely given, from friends, loved ones; people giving, without expecting anything back in return.

Sunday, November 23, 2003.  I received an Unexpected Gift that day.  The Gift that would change my life, and set me on the journey to the person I am today, and the person I'm becoming...

"God saved you by his grace when you believed.  And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God.  Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.  For we are God's masterpiece.  He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." Ephesians 2:8-10 (NLT)

God's gift of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ was freely given, with no strings attached.  For a person like myself who'd grown up trying to be "perfect", never content with where she was, always striving and reaching for that next goal without enjoying the journey, this concept was so foreign...

I remember hearing the message that morning with questions swirling around in my mind: What do you mean, I could be so close to God without working, doing, achieving?  What do you mean, I didn't have to "do" more good things to reach this all perfect, all awesome God?  What about all my past mistakes, my junk?  

And all of a sudden, I just got it.  I understood what God was telling me.  He was telling me that I was His child, He was my Father.  And He loved me and accepted me just as I was, because, well, He made me!  He was telling me that Jesus had paid for all my sins, he was the perfect sacrifice for all humanity's sins, and that all I had to do was believe.  I heard the faith message:

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved." Romans 10:8-19 (NIV)

And just like that, just like the unexpected gifts my daughter and friends gave me last weekend, there was God, inviting and drawing me in, giving me the most Unexpected Gift, the gift of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.  No more striving for perfection to reach God...

And now, the striving has changed.  I still strive, I still challenge myself, I still won't allow myself to just settle for mediocre.  But the difference is that I no longer strive to reach God...I strive because I am so thankful for this gift of salvation that God gave me.  I know now that I was placed here on this earth, in this place, at this time, for a purpose...His purpose.  I was created to do good works which He prepared in advance for me to do.  Ephesians 2:10 (NIV)

I pray that you discover your "good work" that God intended for you to do.  He has a plan and a purpose for you!  And discovering this purpose will give you the energy to move, even when you're tired; to smile, even when things get tough; and to find joy, true joy, in all circumstances.

Love, C.




No comments:

Post a Comment