Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tim Tebow's Witty Words


      

          The other day I mentioned the new master plan of tackling my tongue and taming it. So far, so good. I’m trying to be more accountable for every word I speak. After I say something I take a moment to review in my head how it sounded to others. If I feel it passed the test then I move on. However, if I feel it could have used some taming I ask God for guidance during my next encounter. It just so happens that now I’m trying to listen (with Christian ears) to what words others are speaking. Not to judge but to learn, grow or be inspired. One of my favorite former Denver Broncos inspired me to approach situations in a faithful, yet witty way. Just to clarify I’m a huge NFL fan, I enjoy fantasy football and I love my Denver Broncos.  

          Former Bronco Tim Tebow inspires me in a number of ways and I’m sure I‘ll write about him numerous times. After meeting his mom, Pam Tebow, I’m a lifelong fan of him and his entire family. They are an amazing inspiration. He currently plays for the New England Patriots as their third string quarterback. The other day, after having played a mediocre preseason game, he was faced with a situation in the locker room that he handled with grace and wit. Trying to fight for a spot on the roster Tim Tebow needs to play better than mediocre to make the team. So you would think after the game he would enter the locker room upset or disappointed, possibly grouchy, tight-lipped or even pouty. Maybe he was but he sure didn’t show it like the majority of us would. Well a cameraman had a mishap and yelled the words, “Jesus Christ.” Being close enough for Tim Tebow to hear Tim responded to the cameraman with, “He loves you.” To me Tebow was not only calculated but clever. Anytime we see an opportune moment to not only defend our Savior but to let others know He loves them we need to cease it.
          This was a perfect story for me to see on the sports section of the Internet. Some may criticize it has nothing to do with sports, but I concur because God is a part of everything and every story. I love how Tebow handled the situation. With my new revelation of taming my tongue this was a great eye-opener for me. Not only am I going to continue working on my words, I’m totally going to steal his line.
 
Ephesians 4:29--Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.     

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post Kara. It is so refreshing to have such a faithful Godly man in the media. I have so much admiration for someone like him, that has gained fame and recognition, but he still remains humble and gives recognition to Our Father God for the abundant blessings he has received. Of course, when we accept Christ, we too begin to receive His abundant blessing--we just have to open our hearts "to see" "to hear" and "to learn" all the amazing things He has for us. I love the scripture from Ephesians, that you included in your post. If we all could practice self-control and self-discipline (and the taming of the tongue) so everything we said and did could be encouraging and helpful, it would be a great testimony to others of the love of Our Savior, Christ Jesus. Paul said in Philippians 4:9 "What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me--practice these things, and the God of Peace will be with you. Tim Tebow practices these things---and these are the things that will help lead others to Christ Our Savior -- Our God of Peace. Thank you Kara for such an inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete