Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

See what I mean, we have the greatest friends.


My husband was informed on Friday that he had to leave for Germany for work Saturday morning. It was an unexpected trip but critical for him to go. With four kids I’m use to chaos so this was just going to be another typical week in the Knudson house. The only unfortunate part was that his best friend from Chicago and his family were planning on spending the weekend with us. Thankfully his friend was understanding and flexible. On Friday we decided to go golfing with two other couples. Very spur of the moment but I thought it would be perfect to spend some time doing something we love before he left for a week to Germany. After golf we spent the rest of the evening watching a movie with the kids and making popcorn, ice cream and cookies. It was a perfect way to spend the evening before he left, with friends and then family.
                Saturday and Sunday I was on my own and it was filled with a birthday party, house warming party, a scheduled family photo session and other craziness. Some people would choose to just skip them all but not me, of course. Each one of these events was an invite from a friend that has meant something dear to me. Plus I enjoy staying busy to keep my mind off of missing my husband. I did have to decline a grill out we were invited to on Sunday evening because it interfered with our family photo session. By the way, the family photo session turned out to be the kids with the dogs. Things went fairly smoothly until I realized I drained my battery in the minivan because I left the lights, radio, etc. on during the photo session. Thankfully my dear friend’s husband came to the rescue. We arrived home safely and I made a huge Sunday dinner for the kids and I. The dinner included sweet corn that some wonderful friends brought over to us. See what I mean, we have the greatest friends.
                Today all went pretty well. I rode to the gym with one of my friends and we chatted away. While working out we talked with some other girlfriends about go golfing on Tuesday. As long as I can figure out the sitter situation I will most likely join them. I had planned on lunch with another friend but school was released early so I knew it would be impossible to make it. She understands and we will definitely try for next week. My evening consisted of carpools, soccer and a meeting at the elementary school. I knew it was going to be crazy but I had forgot that my minivan only seats eight and I had to take seven kids to soccer. So what to do with my two youngest other than call a friend. Once again one of my dear friends came to the rescue. Not only did she watch the two young ones she took them to the pool. Seriously, who does that? Who takes a bunch of kids to the pool? I’m the only crazy one that runs around with four kids. She saved me a great deal of hassle and my kids had a blast. See what I mean, we have the greatest friends.  

                My husband doesn’t get home until Thursday evening but I’m half way there. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are booked, booked, booked. My life is always busy between four kids, two dogs and a husband who travels. I tend to overschedule myself and volunteer for way too much so when my husband has to leave I find myself in a bind. However, I feel very blessed to know I’ve built quite the support team here. Different friends fit into my life in different ways and each and every one of them is equally important to me. I know I have wonderful friends and if I need anything I can call on them. So now you see what I mean, we have the greatest friends. 
I challenge everyone this week to do one nice thing for a friend. Make it random and do it for someone that would least expect it.
Some ideas:
-babysit so they can go on a date
-make a card
-give a small gift
-treat to lunch
-clean their house
-buy them flowers
-mow their yard
 
Have fun and look up JOHN 15:13
 

No comments:

Post a Comment