Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

Parable of the Lost Son

Luke 15:11-32

                On Sunday my pastor’s sermon was titled Relentless. His sermon was over the stories Jesus told in Luke 15. Every sermon I am able to take away numerous instances that I can connect with my life or someone else’s. The story of the two sons (one bad, one good--both equally loved) is relatable to many of our situations. You can apply this story to a number of circumstances in your life or someone you know. It has key elements that are excellent teachable moments for an adult or child. I have heard this story Jesus tells numerous times whether I was teaching the lesson in Sunday school or my pastor was giving a sermon on it. Every single time I could relate it to an instance in my life or someone I knew.

                Last Friday my husband came home and told me about one of his closest friends having a difficult time with his step daughter. He asked me to pray for their family. My husband’s friend and his wife have a beautiful marriage, are very active members in the church and two of the most gracious and kind people I have met.  Yet no matter how wonderful things are going Satan always puts up road blocks. Satan has certainly tried to interfere with their daughter (beautiful, young and independent). Her story resembles that of the younger son. She wants to not face responsibilities and leave elsewhere hoping to live a life she desires. The problem with living life your way is that you’re not allowing God to guide you or even have a say. Although the younger son leaves, lives a sinful life and loses all his inheritance he eventually ends up acknowledging that he has sinned against God. His father ends up celebrating his return home and thankful his son who had lost his way was now found.

                There is more to this story with how the other brother felt after the return of his younger brother but I can apply that to another story some other time. What I wanted to share was that I believe this sermon really hit home for this family. I believe God handpicked this sermon to cater towards their needs and prayers. Just as I believe he picked it for everyone else in church that day. He has a perfect reason for everything He does. As much as I wish I could hog tie this girl down and make her listen to Sunday’s sermon online I know that ultimately she will make her own decisions. I’ll pray for her to make the right choices, but I’ll just as easily continue to pray for her even if she repeatedly makes the wrong ones. My hope is that she will eventually seek God’s intentions for her life and future. Remember the father did not give up on the younger son nor did God give up on him. It is crucial to know that God doesn’t quit working on us. He is with us everywhere we go even if we aren’t listening to him. The second we realize our sins or mistakes God will be there with opens arms and ready to celebrate as was the father in the story.  It is imperative to remember that God relentlessly loves us.

2 comments:

  1. I'll pray for this family Kara! It must be tough for the parents to watch their child go through this stage in her life. We humans can be stubborn at times!!!! I can just imagine how God feels when I make the dumb decisions I make on a daily basis. So thankful for his conviction and forgiveness at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment CC. I received a message from the mother that things have proceeded to get worse. No one person can ever have enough prayers. So I know the family will welcome as many prayers as possible.

      Delete