Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Summer Feet

During the winter, I don't think much about my feet.  But summer comes along, and there they are, on display in all their glory.  Mine are always painted, and depending on my mood, may have some fun design on them.  Lately, I've been into the neon colors, and looking down at their bright colors automatically puts me in a good mood.  Makes them pop.  Makes them noticeable.

Our summers are spent barefoot, in flip flops, or in slides.  And the good comes along with the bad. 

The Bad: nasty, dirty, calloused, and sweaty feet.
The Good: pedicures with my daughter, and with my girlfriends. 

A couple of weeks ago, a girlfriend of mine invited a couple of us and our little girls over.  She thought it would be fun to do our girls' nails for the upcoming 4th of July neighborhood parade.  The evening we spent at her home was one full of laughter, and a light, healthy dinner prepared by her for us. I appreciate nights like this so much; nights where we can gather, enjoy one another, and create a fun environment for our girls.  And not for one minute did I take her hospitality for granted.  Nights like these are ones where God shows up for me unexpectedly, painting a picture of how Jesus's life may have been, and how we can live that life right now, in these very moments.  

So the time came for us to get the girls' toenails done. I imagined we were just painting them.

I was wrong. 

My friend pulled out a foot spa.  She proceeded to sit each girl down (they ranged in age from 6 years old to 12).  What started out as five girls increased to at least 8.  She soaked their feet, scrubbed them, massaged them a little, and gently dried them.  I watched on in amazement. Here was this beautiful woman, opening up her home, and caring so much for us and our girls, patiently, and joyfully.  A couple of the other moms helped with painting nails, but the image of my friend on her knees, serving these little girls is still very vivid in my mind. 

Seeing this reminded me of Jesus washing his disciples feet.  Serving them.  Spending time with them.  Teaching by example.  Loving on them.  

Simple things we can easily do on a daily basis with others. 

During Jesus' time, upon arrival at someone's home, because they walked long distances on dusty roads to get to their destination, their host would have his servant take off their sandals, and wash their feet. The servant did that. 

Jesus' disciples totally got this.  That's why it was so hard for them to accept Jesus' actions.  He was doing for them what a servant would do for them, and they regarded Jesus more highly than they regarded themselves.  And Jesus' words to them were:  "Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's  feet.  I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." John 13:14-15.

And just like summer feet, all of a sudden in full display, that night at my friend's house put some of Jesus' teachings on full display for me, made his teaching pop, made his words more noticeable....


  • The humility it takes to make yourself lower than another to serve them wholeheartedly, putting them above yourself, and the heart change required to do this.  
  • The importance of taking time to intentionally spend time together doing something beautiful for one another. 
  • The fact that God shows up more and more when I intentionally live life in relationship with others.
  • The fact that even though I try to, I don't always show appreciation to those that serve me.  The fact that I don't serve others as much as I could.  The fact that this is something I need to work on.    

Servitude can be shown in so many ways.

It comes in the form of someone  encouraging me, showing appreciation towards me, thanking me, or writing me a note.  Servitude is someone offering to take my kids for the day, or offering to give my kids rides from one place to another.  Servitude is someone surprising me with flowers.  Servitude is someone offering to drive when we have to go long distances to our daughters' events.  Servitude is a friend dropping off a little night light she thought my son would like, and not telling me she did it (I saw her pulling away from my mailbox).  Servitude is a friend taking the time to care and ask me how I'm doing, and actually listen.

Servitude is someone taking time out of their life to do something for me, to make my life better.

I think of Jesus spending time with his disciples, sharing his life with them.  And what a picture I had of his life that evening.  We gathered together, lived life together, shared a meal, joy, and laughter together.  And pedicures can do that too.  Such a simple event opened my eyes to so many little things that Jesus wanted me to see.  And here's hoping that tomorrow I can keep my eyes, ears, and heart open to more of what He wants me to see.

Love, C.     

No comments:

Post a Comment