Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

HE moved into the Neighborhood...

"The Word was first, the Word present to God, God present to the Word.  The Word was God, in readiness for God from day one....

The Word became flesh and blood, and moved into the neighborhood."
John 1 (The Message)

Stop for a minute, and think about that.  

JESUS moved into the neighborhood.

As Kara mentioned in her previous blog post, Tara and I threw our annual neighborhood party last weekend.  The tradition started last year when we noticed how many new people had moved into our neighborhood.  We wanted to give our new neighbors one more opportunity, among many, to connect with others that were more established.  And who doesn't love a party, right? 

But with new relationships, new neighbors; even old friendships in a community, there will be tension.

In my perfect little bubble of a world, everyone would get along with others, everyone would be friendly all the time to each other, there'd be no strife, and everyone would forgive. There'd be no reason to gossip, there'd be no arguments, there'd be no jealousy, and our kids would play together nicely ALL the time.  Everyone would wave and smile at me when they drove by.  And last but not least...my neighbors would bake and bring me apple pies or chocolate chip cookies every week...ha!

No, I'm not that naive.

The reality is, just like others, I feel jealousy at times, I get my feelings hurt, I sometimes feel left out, I get upset at others, and I forget to forgive.  I can be prideful and egotistical too.  And sometimes, I don't feel like smiling and waving at others as I drive by either!  And although this is our human nature, I know better!  I can make different choices!

Did I mention tension?  Yes, there will be tension when living in community with others.

"Community cannot be created in isolation, nor does it happen without action.  It requires people to navigate the tensions of interpersonal relations.  Creating community doesn't come easily, but when it happens, the rewards are worth the effort" - The Tangible Kingdom Primer.  

Interaction can be downright awkward and uncomfortable.  If you know me, you may not know that I once wasn't the outgoing, "confident in relationships" type of person I am today.  And to tell you the truth, I still get nervous around people at times, and I still feel uncomfortable in new situations.  I've just learned some truths that help me reach out to others.

But how much better would I be if I intentionally subscribed to the idea that Jesus moved into the neighborhood?  Like, maybe as close, as next door?  Or what about just down the street?

Would I act differently?  Would I watch my words more carefully and choose to find something uplifting to say in negative situations?  Would I stand up for the truth instead of act complacent in order to not "rock the boat"?  Would I be more conscientious of my actions, and how they're perceived by and how they affect others?  Would I conduct myself while doing business differently?  Would I forgive more, tolerate more, and be more peaceful towards others?  Would I choose to not argue with others about petty things?  Would I choose to allow other's their own opinions on what to believe and how to live, while staying true to what I believe?

Would I be more joyful, gracious, and merciful?  Would I volunteer more, would I tithe more?  Would I be more inclusive and invitational?  Would I be more like John the Baptist making a way for Jesus to be known, but instead of through words (John 1 MSG), by first allowing people to feel the good news of Christ, before it was ever explained to them?

I believe "We're Christ's representatives.  God uses us to persuade men and women to drop their differences and enter into God's work of making things right between them." 2 Corinthians 5 (MSG).  But that's easier said than done.  And I'll be transparent with you today... I'm needing your prayers please!  Prayers to continue remembering who I am, whose I am, and to never be complacent in order to just please others.

I work out at a gym where we work out 5 days a week, 10 weeks at a time, with a 3 week break in between each of those 10 weeks.  For 10 weeks, I give it my best... My diet's pretty good, I work out 5-6 days a week, I feel fit.  I'm accountable to my friends to show up at class, and I'm much more accountable to proper diet (as I write, my dinner was the banana split sundae Ty just brought me...Ha!).  I absolutely love and look forward to the accountability the program provides.  During the 3 week break, my accountability may, or may not be as stellar.

Recently, the coaches running the program began to offer an "accountability coach" to anyone in the program.  The accountability coach is exactly that...someone who keeps you accountable to your goals by monitoring your behavior (attending class, etc.) and reviewing your daily food intake.  I can imagine that those using the accountability coach (a "free gift" to anyone doing the session choosing to receive it) will have rock star results.

It's like Jesus moving into the 'hood.

He's my accountability coach.  He moved into the neighborhood, and I need to hang out with him, get to know him, ask him questions about himself, and share my life with him...just like I did when my new neighbors, Chad and Jamie moved in this summer.  I also need to allow him to guide me.  I need to ask his advice, and most importantly, I need to follow it.  "Merely hearing God's law is a waste of your time if you don't do what he commands.  Doing, not hearing, is what makes the difference with God" Romans 2 (MSG).  And if you're not a believer in Christ, if He's not your accountability coach, realize that you are accountable to something, or someone.  Maybe you're accountable to only yourself (as I was).  And that, my friend, was a tiring way to live for me.  Way too much pressure!

In closing, here's to my awesome husband, who encouraged me to write this, even though I thought it would bore you to write about the neighborhood party since Kara just wrote about it.  He told me to listen to what God wanted me to say, and just write away.  Turns out, this piece wasn't even really about the neighborhood party.  Crazy how God works sometimes.  Turn my thoughts, into your thoughts Lord....

Love, C.




No comments:

Post a Comment